Thursday, March 22, 2012

Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday


Monday 19th- I took photos of all of the school children with the Mother General (from Rome) of the Tertiary Sisters of St. Francis (the sisters who run this convent). All the Form 1 through Upper Form 6 and each class level. Then I had to get the pictures to Sister Mary Francis and she basically told me I was teaching at the school on Tuesday. So I was a bit confused and her head was off in space. She is a funny lady. Later that evening some papers were sent to me to “prepare for my classes” ha ha. So I had Terry ask the math teacher if that was okay and when and what not. AHH yes, I told you all of that in my last blog. Well anyways.. there is some more information. 

Tuesday 20th - So I went up there on Tuesday at 12:30, nobody was in class and the teachers were not even teaching. Sister Mary-Francis took me to a classroom of the Lower Form 6 students who were between ages 16 and 21 and told me to teach them. They aren’t even preparing for the test that she had given me to use practice problems from and so they looked at me like.. “who the hell are you, and do you really think I give a sh**” It was kind of awkard and I escaped as soon as I could and Mr. Gilbert, the math teacher, took me to the Form 5 students who are preparing for the test. The girls were pretty interested and actually really wanted to learn. So I taught them about slopes and y=mx+c  (they use c not b here for the y-intercept) and we did some other problems and then they told me to come back Wednesday at 9, and Mr. Gilbert told them to all be there in that classroom at 9 am.  
Well Tuesday afternoon we went for a walk and I borrowed Terry’s Chaco sandals because I was wondering if I would like some like it. NOPE! I got a blister on each of the insides of my VERY VERY FLAT feet and a rubbed off kind of blister on my big toe (like it didn’t even blister, it just went raw because it was being rubbed the whole walk) and the other big toe is a little blister and under each ankle on the outside is a little raw spot. So I won’t be getting any Chacos. My feet are stained red. Pretty nasty.  Also my toenails are very dirty and chipped. and still haven’t shaved my legs in the last 3 weeks.

Wednesday 21st - Well when I got to the school on Wednesday at 9, they had all gone home for break. So that’s nice, I came home and didn’t so much.
Wednesday night was Date Night, so at 3 the four of us stopped and asked the med students to come and we went down to the Midway for a beer. Valerie met us down there and we had a couple soya (the meat on a stick thing) and chatted for a while. The waitress server lady told us they had been closed because the other guy who was the server had embezzled 300,000 francs, which is like 600 dollars. She just told us out right, and when we asked why he was still downstairs at the place she said “he is just having fun.” There is nothing like private information here. We stopped back by Valerie’s house and picked up Soren so that they could see how Jim makes popcorn, because he is basically a professional at it. We had some more beer, popcorn and cheese and crackers for dinner. 
Ah, after Valerie and Soren left we had some Baroney's Irish Cream on the rocks. That stuff could be dangerous (for me and my wallet). mmm mmm good. I've never had it not in like hot chocolate, and only once or twice in hot chocolate. 

gosh the days fly by.

Today is Thursday- I went to Project Hope and didn't do much.. kind of just helped out with little things and got creepy talked by some creepo and freaked myself out when I came back to the house so I locked the door from the inside and when I left I peaked out the windows before opening it again. He really did not get that in the U.S. women can be independent and don't have to answer to any man or ask for something. He asked if I was married, and if I had a boyfriend and asked why I wasn't married and was asking about who I  am second to. I said nobody. He said that I have to be below someone. Who do I ask for advice from? I said many people. So apparently I'm second to them because I go by their advice. I said but I still make a decision even if they say I shouldn't. But then I ended the conversation because he was creeping me out and all the other men behind him were laughing probably because I didn't understand half of what he said and they thought it was hilarious he was picking on me. 

Then I came home and relaxed the rest of the day basically. My dad and Jim are currently on a walk up on the mountain Boyo or something. It looks REALLY far away but I guess it isn't that bad it's just the haze that makes it appear that far. My blisters won't allow such travel for me right now. I took pictures of the cows instead. They were eating Sugar Cane. 

Prisca is making Fufu and Jamajama for dinner so that we can have a taste of it before we leave. There is also chicken cooking in the kitchen. Smells delicious, looks... eh. We'll see. I'll take pictures and write about it later. 

Less than a week and I'm already home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment