Saturday, March 24, 2012

I'd really like some rain for my birthday!


Ah, Thursay night Prisca made Fufu and Jamajama for dinner. The corn flower and water makes the mushy fufu then she wrapped it in banana leaves to portion out the balls/bars. Her jamajama was pretty good as well. She was basically just steaming the huckleberry leaves then added spices and kind of sauted it. She also boiled chicken and then cooked it in oil and made a very oily tomatoe sauce. All together it was good. Jama by itself, not so good, fu fu alone, not so good. Together it’s okay.. even better with the tomato sauce.  The chicken and tomato sauce is called Kahti kahti.
For some reason they double a lot of their food names. It’s kind of odd.
In the afternoon Thursday I bought 12 bananas (small ones) and 2 avocados for a total of 30 cents. The bananas were 100 francs, and each avocado was 25 francs (which is a nickel). Just crazy.
March 23rd, Friday at Project Hope treatment center was EXTREMELY busy. So I didn’t do much but get files out and stuff cause I don’t know enough to actually help dispense the drugs.
Terry made minestrone soup and put the left over jamajama in it. It was pretty good. Kind of like spinach.
We took a walk down for a brewsky and some tomatoes. I got a Smirnoff ice instead. I wasn’t feeling the beer last night. Then we had a second. On the way back I ran into Soren and Valerie who invited me to dinner with them at Etien’s house (he works at the OPD).
At 6 I went with them over there. It was really interesting because I was able to actually see inside of a typical home/room of a compound. There were 4 beds made of wood frames and bamboo for the flat bed part and a shelf on one wall. There was a loft in the ceiling that they use to dry their corn for fufu. In the middle of the room was a fire. There were also two chickens sitting on their nests in the corners.
 It was so smokey our eyes were itchy and burning. Etien laughed cause we weren’t used to the smoke. Etien’s mother was cooking fufu. She sifted the corn flower to remove bugs and chunks. Then she mixed it with water and put it over the fire to cook. She stirred it a while and then added more flower then let it boil for a while. Then she scooped the chunks out into a wooden bowl that she shook around that formed the fufu dough ball. She put them into a casserole pot and they didn’t mix together, they stayed in separate pieces.
Valerie and I shared a fufu and some jamajama because it’s just too much of the same thing. It was good though, but only if you have enough jamajama to the fufu. They made fun of us for not eating much, but it’s good for only so much.
So I had fufu and jamajama two nights in a row. They typically will eat that every day all the time.
I came home and had nutella with a banana. Ha ha.
Today is my birthday! All my co-workers from Project Hope are coming over for dinner and we are having spaghetti. This morning Lilian and Quinta sang happy birthday to me. It was cute. 
They taught me a lot about words and sayings this morning.. and I told them a lot about how the world is very different here. Mac has been to the U.S. so he has a much better idea of it. 
I’ll write more as the time goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment