Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Really glad I went, Really ready to be back


I loved Njinikom and I could have stayed there longer… but if I had some of my own space. Also needing some more internet and contact to some people. I need to vent a LOT.
Travelling is the worst part. UGH. one more 8 hour flight.
Anyways. Monday I finished up work and at 2 they had a little going away thing for us. Sister Xaveria spoke thanking us and the two med students, and someone at the hospital spoke and Mac spoke on my behalf. They danced in and gave us gifts (which we weren’t to open right then and there, unlike the U.S. custom), it ended up being Cameroonian coffee and these bowls that fit together like a little set for ground nuts (my dad and the med students got something different).
Then the women’s group from the hospital did a ceremonial traditional dance and some of the sisters couldn’t help themselves and had to jump in too.
Packed up, Sister Xaveria and Relindus came over for dinner which was fried rice, fried plantains and  agusi bitter leaf. Prisca made it for everyone. Agusi is ground pumpkin seed sauce-y stuff that she then mixed with the bitter leaf (which is supposedly similar to Jamajama). Sister Xaveria thought it was hilarious that I was taking pictures of the food.
 I can’t wait to get home where I can ACTUALLY post all my pictures. I’ll probably just post them on facebook, but I’ll label each one so that you can know what is actually going on in them. I hate looking at other peoples pictures and not actually knowing what and where and when it all is and/or was.
Tuesday morning we got in the car with our luggage and the 2 med students (Valerie and Soren) and then 5 nuns. One was coming to Douala with us, the other 4 were staying in Bamenda.. where we were actually picking up 4 more students that were in Shisong for their 3 months and knew Valerie and Soren. Wow, okay so that’s driver Bo Paul (father of Paul, his only son, his real name is Henry), my dad and I, Sister Gracia going to Douala, Valerie, Soren, and 4 more. 10. Yes. 10. In the van. And the students had all been there for 3 months so each had 2 suitcases and big back packs. So it literally barely fit in the car it was ridiculous. So on from Bamenda we stopped several times to get lunch food, and lunch and whatever else. It was sardines, spam looking bologna stuff, cheese and bread again. We each had a half a loaf of French bread again. I’m tired of French bread. I want some serious whole grain stuff, toasted.
It was a jam packed car and it was a bumpy hot road. We stopped at the fruit stand again and they cut some fresh pineapple, best pineapple of my life. I almost had to dive to catch the chunk that was slippery and slipped from my fingers but I caught it just in time… it would have been worth the dive though. Then the van wouldn’t start…. The men at the fruit stand said they’d push start it. So we all climbed in and my dad took a picture of them pushing (I’ll post it later).  It started up and as we were rolling my dad hopped in and we drove off honking and cheering. It was pretty funny. I was up in front in the middle the whole way, no seat belt, engine under the seat causing me to have a very hot butt. But I got to talk to Bo Paul a lot, he’s really nice and funny and answered a lot of questions.
We stopped at the Baptist mission to drop of the med students bags and then found out the couple coming in that day to go to Njinikom had already arrived at 4:30 (somehow sister didn’t know when their flight was coming.. so that’s great). We jumped in the car, push started it again and hurried to the “park” to drop of the med students and the rest of their bags so they could go to the beach for the week and then headed over to Padre Pio Catholic Hospital so we could shower and rest while Bo Paul and Sister Gracia went to the airport. At least Sister Xaveria knew somebody who could gather the couple waiting and stay with them until Sister Gracia got there. I’m sure Sister Xaveria (she’s the matron of the Njinikom Hospital) was not happy with the whole situation, especially because they were from Mission Doctors and she definitely favors those who come to volunteer over those who come because they are getting school credit and doing an internship, plus the Mission Doctors have more money and are more likely to spend more for the hospital and return some day.
We showered, but within 5 minutes we were sweating again. I even took a cold shower. 7:30 Bo Paul, Sister Gracia and the Coopers got to Padre Pio. We ate dinner and talked about what they should expect basically.
Bo Paul and Sister Gracia took us to the airport. We went through everything, paid the 20 dollar exit fee and got on the plane. I slept some, watched a movie. Now I’m just SOOO freaking ready for some space. I need my own room, my own bed, my own bathroom and some real food. Ugh. We’re in Paris, one more flight straight to Seattle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment